Best Cookbook of the Year 2016, Gourmand World Cookbook Award
[THIS TITLE IS OUT OF PRINT; REPRINT UNDER CONSIDERATION]
In the autumn of 2009, a grandmother in the village of Mun, in the Ghund valley of the Tajik Pamir Mountains, approached two young researchers and asked them to write down her old recipes. “I want to share them with my children and grandchildren while I still remember what I know,” she said.
Surrounded by her family and neighbours, the conversations about the recipes became a passage into the timeworn traditions of the Pamir Mountains and the rapid changes they now face. Over the following years, her voice was joined by those of many other grandmothers and grandfathers, children, teachers and farmers. Together they are this book: a unique and intimate portrait of the Pamir Mountains of Afghanistan and Tajikistan.
With Our Own Hands tells, for the first time, the cultural and agricultural history of the Afghan and Tajik Pamirs, one of the world’s least known and most isolated civilisations. Through the lens of local recipes, one hundred in total, and accompanied by the work of three award-winning photographers, it describes Pamiri food and its origins, people’s daily lives, their struggles and celebrations. In a context where poverty, conflicts and political upheaval have made it difficult for people to express and define their identity, food becomes a powerful tool for its survival.
- lees hier het Nederlandse persbericht over het winnen van the Gourmand Cookbook of the Year Award / English Press release about the winning of the Gourmand Cookbook Award here
- lees hier het persbericht over het transport van de boeken naar de Pamiri’s: 5000 kilo boeken naar Afghanistan (20 november 2015)
on Dutch radio:
- luister hier het interview met Frederik bij Met het oog op morgen, 29 mei 2016
- luister hier naar het interview bij Spijkers met Koppen, 4 juni 2016
- luister hier naar het interview bij Kunsstof, 19 augustus 2015
More pages about With our own hands:
the story of the book
one book, three languages
Pamir food and life on Facebook